Monday, June 11, 2012

Maine! The post we have all been waiting for...

Maine! The post you have all been waiting for. 

Ok. So this will have to be a series of posts, I just can't fit it all into one. So Ill start at the beginning. When I first got to Maine it was much more stressful than I had imagined.

I thought that being back in the USA would be this great feeling and that I would know and understand the culture and I would be able to get around much more easily. I figured I would know where to go to get things like groceries and clothing.

But the truth is that in every place that you go there are different "best places" to get what you need. So having to figure that out once again, was very stressful, and I have only recently discovered that I have succumbed to the fact that I will not have the time to find all of the best places because my time here is so limited.

So, I usually go to Hannafords for groceries. It is close to the UMHS building so it is convenient. I get coffee at Dunkin Doughnuts for the same reason. I eat at Panera for the same reason. See the pattern? It is too much trouble to loaf around trying to find neat places to eat every day. I want to eat at the places that are "must see" but I don't really want to spend the time finding them.

The bus system seems doable, but with the weather being so unpredictable all the time, I would recommend getting a car or renting.

Classes. 

It is much more like an informal lecture type meeting. On Monday we listen to the lecture on the system of the week. It is a very general overview and geared toward clinical not step one. Not that it won't help with the step one, as I am sure it will. But the focus is on the clinical aspects of that system as opposed to the anatomy, or the physiology. This is a stark change from the lectures we have endured on the island. The professor that gives most of the lectures is Dr. Thompson, and she is very good. She is an oncologist and very knowledgable.

After lecture we break into groups and work with a physician talking about the different tests that can be ordered to dx diseases from that system. We also discuss the physical exam for that system.


Virtual Clinic


On Tuesday we have virtual clinic where we see two patients in the presence of a Physician. We work in teams of two where one person is a note taker/presenter and that is their presentation patient and the other is the student doctor for the patient. The next patient the note taker is the student doctor and the student doctor becomes the note taker/presenter. As a presenter you keep track of the SOAP note as the student doctor performs the Hx and physical exam. At the end of the interview and physical exam by the "student doctor" the note taker/presenter presents the case to the Physician that has been observing. The rotations take about an hour, thirty minutes per person.

 It is a great way to practice history and physical exam skills because you know that someone is taking the notes so you can focus on the interview. As a note taker it is good practice because you don't really have to focus on coming up with the diagnosis, the doctor should do that, but if they don't you can add that in at presentation.

Cases


Wednesdays we have cases. The cases are given at the beginning of the week in powerpoint format. We are to research the cases and come in ready to discuss them on Wednesday morning. The morning begins with a quiz on the cases and then we discuss them. Usually we discuss answers to the quiz questions as well.

We also have grand rounds at 8 am on wednesdays. It is free breakfast at the hospital, and maybe you can scope out a handsome intern. You are guaranteed to feel very much like the low man on the totem pole.

There are few afternoon items that I haven't mentioned, but generally you are finished by noon. I haven't started Kaplan yet, but when I do Ill make a short blog post on that too.

Next time I get the chance Ill write about the Maine life. I have so many observations and places I want to share with you all, but I just can't fit into one post.

Until next time, Mon,
Amy

0 comments:

Post a Comment