Friday, July 1, 2011

They dress like that in med school???

I haven't posted in a while and I hope to post more often. Medical School is a fulltime job and I love to skype my children when I have a spare moment (read in the morning before classes and at night when I am having a study break). But yesterday I decided that I needed to post more often because hopefully I will only have about six more months here and I feel like I have not chronicled anything. Mostly because I do the same thing everyday but I can share tidbits here and there. Other times it is because I feel like I have so much to do that I don't have time to update my blog. I am also taking an online MBA class (7 week classes) which takes up a ton of my time during the first part of the semester.

Alas, I am here and ready to tell you all that I am thinking about today. First, I have a friend that is in medical school in the states and I often wonder how our experiences are different. Today I put my socks on and hung my throw over the back of library chair to begin studying for my block exams and I thought "do they wear socks and sweatshirts in US medical schools or does everyone wear professional clothes?".  I am not sure but here most everyone is in casual clothing. Our classrooms are fully air conditioned and quite cool usually so we all bring sweaters and sweatshirts. The closer it gets to blocks the more bummy everyone seems to dress. Except for the Med 4s. They have Intro to Clinical Medicine and they have to dress professionally (or scrubs) a few times a week. So you can definitely tell the difference between the Med 4s and the rest of us. I am now a med 3.

 This is from my first semester when I was in ARP! In the ARP classroom.
I think this was taken either the first of this semester or the last part of last semester.


This is me today! 
I have been on the island for a year now! Unbelievable! I wish I had more time here and I am already dreading and anxiously anticipating being back in the states. Notice that most of these pictures are taken in the library or in a classroom, (the most current one is in the lib although you can't tell).

I have had an incredible time here on the island. I have met a lot of great people and friends that I will definitely stay in touch with over the years and some that I probably will never see again unless we end up in the same hospital. There are some things that take some getting used to but all in all it is a very pleasant experience and I hope to do some rotations in the UK. Maybe in London.

If you have the opportunity to study abroad then take it. Make the most of your time in college and graduate school. This is the only time in your life you can experience another country and not have to work there to make ends meet!

If you are planning to attend University of Medicine and Health Sciences at St. Kitts then please send me your questions and I'll answer them right here for everyone to read. I would love for people to be able to use my blog later for help with their transition into medical school.

Until next time 'mon!
Amy Jones
Future Amy Jones, MD, MBA, B. Sc.

8 comments:

  1. I'm starting @ UMHS in Sept. And I'm excited but nervous @ the same time. I visited the island this past weekend and went to the campus and the staff was definitely amazing!!! I'm originally from the caribbean so I won't have ne trouble adjusting to the island life. But I have a million and one questions to ask. Do you do anything for fun just to take a breather fr the school life while on the island?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, there are several little bars and clubs around. I am not really a big partier but it is nice to go out some times. Most people have parties at their apartments if they want to chill, you can also go to the beach, or hang out by the pool at the Marriott. There is a great movie theater which plays first run movies even 3D! There are party busses that go around, and catamaran trips. Currently there is a beach party every Sat at reggae beach, and there are parties at the strip on the weekend. So sure I think there is plenty to do here, and I didn't mention hiking, and zip lining, and scuba diving, and lobster hunting, and snorkling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats GREATTT!!!!! I'm gonna need to gain back sanity @ some point so i'm happy to hear that lolol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you use all the books on the book list? And are earlier versions of some books just as useful?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm going to the island in September as well. I was so happy to find this today as I have about a million questions too! Are you doing the extended science program because you are doing the MBA? also, How much do you think you spend on food weekly? Thanks!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books, Ill make a post about that now. I am doing the MBA program, if you can get your tuition paid then I get back plenty enough to pay my rent and buy my food for the semester. Keep in mind that everyone can get different amounts based on their FAFSA but generally I think we all get about the same thing. I generally budget 100 US dollars a week for everything from food to going out, but if you eat in the caf everyday I would think that you would need more than that budgeted if you were including that in your groc as well. Plus that also depends on what you buy, I mostly buy chicken and staples at the groc and fresh veg and eggs from the veg guy that comes to campus. If you are buying a lot of freezer meals then you can expect to pay more too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I very much enjoy reading your blogs even though I wish you would write more often but that's okay, I realize you have a busy schedule! Anyways, I had a question about why you decided to go the Caribbean route. Is it very difficult to get in and are you getting any financial aid?

    ReplyDelete
  8. To the very long name: I am sorry I haven't seen your comment until now. That is a good question and it probably deserves a post all of its own. I do not get financial aid for medical school, and I decided to go in the carribbean as almost a rebellious way to state my attitude towards the selection process in the states. That is the short answer, but I will make a blog post about it. Again so sorry I am so late getting back to you! Good Luck to you! Thank you for reading.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete