Thursday, January 26, 2012

Curious Prospective Student


Curious Prospective Student

        Every once in a while I get an email from a student that is interested in applying and want some kind of reassurance that they will be going to a real school. I know I felt the same way. I was afraid that I would apply and come to realize that there was no such entity and I was taken for my money, but even worse, my dreams. Well, the university is real and has real students. 

     Todays post is from an email that I received today. Hope you enjoy and feel free to ask me any questions.

Email:
Hello Amy,
I'm applying to UMHS for the fall semester. I was wondering if you could share your experience with me. I graduated Rutgers with a Cell Biology and Neuroscience Degree. How were the classes? How do you rate the effectiveness of the professors? Was moving there an easy experience?
My response:


     I believe that education is a personal experience as much as it is a social one. I believe that each person is individually responsible for their own learning and education. I believe that our professors are as good as any you will find in the states and as bad. I have had the personal experience to glean from each one of them the most that I can and use books and other resources to make up the difference. I believe that I would have had the same educational experience at any University in the states.

As to classes:

     I suppose by classes you mean the students. The only variables between classes are the students and the professors and classrooms. The classrooms and facilities are as good or better than any that I have ever had the experience to sit in. I have already mentioned the professors, so the students are all that is left. I would say that the students are respectful during lecture usually and if not it isn't tolerated so they usually shape in a short time. There is a lot of information and you will be studying mostly so I wouldn't worry too much about anything else as it pertains to classes. The tests are fair and written in board style. 


Moving down here:

     That is also and individual experience. Life is pretty much what you make it. If you want to be miserable you can find a way, and if you want to be happy and enjoy life you will find a way to do that also. It is up to you as to how to view long waits and no fast food. For me I have loved living here and the transition wasn't very difficult at all. I don't believe there is any formula that I can offer you to make that transition a good one for you.
     
      I made note of my own preferences and found a place to live that suited them. I have a post about where to live on my blog. It really takes a lot of self analysis and commitment. I also would suggest that you come with no expectations, then you will be pleased and not disappointed.

     I have been here almost two years so it is very difficult for me to look back and try to see what I thought was the hardest, and for me it would be different probably then what might be the most difficult for you. 
     
     I don't regret coming and I love the island and I love the staff here. I used to listen to country music when I was little and as Reba McEntire says in her song, Fancy, "Just be nice to the gentleman, Fancy, and they'll be nice to you". Replace gentlemen with Kittian and staff. Remember that you are a guest in someone elses country and you are just passing through. If you constantly put down their country where they must live then it is disrespectful and only solidifies what they already believe, "America is better", "i would be richer", "my life would be easier if I lived in America". The truth is there are problems in America, too. There is poverty in America, too. Some people have to work very hard in America and they are still poor. 

      The one thing that I am so thankful for is that I have had the opportunity to live in a foreign country for almost two years. I have gotten to know some of the customs and culture. I have grown to love the people, the climate, and the geography. I see the differences as just differences. I don't pity the people here, and I don't feel like I am better than them when I go back to the states. Living here as allowed me to grow, and to be content. I see the options that I have in the states now which I had never seen before. I relish only having two different brands of chips and feel completely overwhelmed when I go to Wal-Mart. I also realized that I don't need that much. I live a much simpler life with less clutter. I am much more aware of my needs vs my wants. Is that an important thing to be reminded of? Only you can answer that question for your self.
Until next time,
Amy Jones, B.Sc.
Future M. S., M.D. 


1 comments:

  1. Hi, just wanted to reply back to your question about blog formatting. Thanks for the compliments, btw. :) You will need to go to design, layout, and then to add a gadget. As for the blogger backgrounds, I've used www.thecutestblogontheblock.com and www.shabbyblogs.com. If you go to either of those sites, they will explain how to upload their free backgrounds onto your blog. Remember to set your blog on Picture Window, first. (They should tell you that in the instructions somewhere.) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete