Sunday, February 16, 2014

Whats Next? ? ?

So I have passed my USMLE Step 1. What is next?

The first thing I had to do was send in documents to the clinical department.

Things like :

  • TB test results current for this year
  • physical current for this year
  • Proof of Vaccinations 
  • National Background Check
  • ACLS certification
  • Drug Screen

Once all of the documents are in and after my tuition is paid; the clinical placement director/team will assign me to a location to begin rotations. -

---> For a complete list of the required rotations you can visit the UMHS website. <--- p="">
I will spend roughly 18 months in rotations during which time I will also take the USMLE Step 2 CK & CS (it is a two part exam).

Normally it works out that the student is studying and doing rotations the same time, and then towards the end of the year they begin the Match process.

My understanding of the Match process-

Match consists of applying to residency-post graduate education- through a website much like you use to apply to medical school in the states. Every residency program that uses ERAS is in the system and available for you to send your credentials. They select the best candidates from their applicants for interviews. Then the applicants and the residency program create a list of their favorites. This is the "rank order list". Each student ranks the programs that have interviewed them in order from most desirable to least desirable and the residency programs do the same. If the students and the programs "match" their rank then the residency program extends an offer to the applicant. You can read more details about Match on the NRMP website.

How UMHS helps us become good match candidates-

I spoke with our clinical department and from my conversation with them they will help us to find programs they think we have a good chance of matching with in our chosen field. They also help us to plan out what electives we will need to make us good candidates. Of course the preparation is upon the individual student, but it helps to have someone who can help guide us into our chosen field. Good scores and letters of recommendation will only come from hard work.

I hope that this will help you all understand the process of what happens after USMLE Step 1.

Until next time,
Amy Jones


7 comments:

  1. When do they think they will have full accreditation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith,
      Thanks so much for reading my blog. I hope that you have found some useful information.
      I am sorry that I don't have the information to answer your question as I am a student and I am not privy to that information.
      Please do not hesitate to call UMHS and ask your questions.

      With regards to accreditation, that could be a blog post in itself and I will be happy to address that issue.
      If you are thinking of attending a Caribbean medical school I suggest that you research the requirements of the state that you would like to practice in as each state has different regulations.
      Thanks for your question.
      Amy

      Delete
  2. nice post.. i like this blog. i never read about this post.

    avalon University the school of medicine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!! I am so glad that you enjoy coming here! I hope that I can continue to give you useful information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have to get high marks to pass usmle.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for reading my blog! Your USMLE scores are used to determine your placement into residency. It is recommended that you do as well as possible. A very good score on the Step 1 gives you options when applying to residency and can open up additional rotation locations.

      UMHS has a requirement that you must pass a USMLE Step 1 comprehensive exam to be approved to register for the USMLE step 1. To register for Step 2 you must have completed your IM and Family Med rotations. (There may be one other rotation that you also must have completed, but I am certain that you have to have completed these two for approval to register for Step 2.). Your grades on the island are very important in that our professors are very good at helping you tease out the high yield and most important topics. If you perform well on your island exams then you will be ready for fifth semester. Please remember, that an A in your classes on the island does not insure that you will get an outstanding score on the USMLE. I recommend you utilize good study habits and seek best practices from other students via forums.

      Delete
  4. What is your advice for preparing for usmle. He is a hard working student.

    ReplyDelete